Sunday, February 6, 2011

Veggie Joes...with a twist

In the crock pot this week, lentils!

I'm trying out a slow cooker recipe for veggie joes, a vegetarian take on the sloppy joe. No, I'm not a vegetarian, but I do like to try new and interesting foods. Lentils are tasty, and sloppy joes are also a tasty item. So, the idea of making a sloppy joe from lentils seems pretty good to me. They'll be full of protein and healthy carbs, too.

I did tweak the recipe...as usual. It called for ketchup, and I never have this in my house. I fact, I never eat it when out either. There is just something about a sugary tomato paste that doesn't appeal to me. I also reduced the Worcestershire sauce and added a new spice...dum-da-dum-dum! Curry. Why? Lentils. That's why. Lentils scream to me that they like curry, and I never deny a food its heart's desire when it screams like that.*

Here's a picture and the recipe (for prosperity and in case I decide to make it again)

Veggie Joe Masala
2 cups dried lentils, sorted and rinsed
4 cups H2O
6 medium carrots, chopped
6 medium celery stalks, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
1 1/2 cups of chopped tomato (or 12 oz can of stewed tomatoes)
4 tablespoons brown sugar
3 tablespoons yellow curry powder
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce

Heat the lentils and H2O to boiling. Reduce the heat. Then cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Mix the remaining ingredients with the lentils in a slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 10-12 hours.

To serve, stuff a pita pocket with 1/2 cup, or you can use burger buns.

No comments:

Post a Comment