Thursday, May 20, 2010

So school is out for the summer...

Well, I've been taking some college classes towards an IT certificate to accompany my bachelor degree. This past spring was my second semester back at school (after many years), and balancing a full-time job with two pencil-breakingly-tough classes has been a challenge. I did manage to get an A in the Contracts course and a B in Database Programming, but whew! I'm glad to have a break till fall.

So, what do I do with all this spare time...after a grueling college semester is done? Take more classes of course! I'm going to take hula-hooping, photography, yoga and cooking classes.

There are some wonderful hula-hooping classes around town. I'm currently taking a class with Hoop Grrl Laura Scarborough. Her class is fun while at the same time forcing me to take a shower afterwards. The only downside is the timing and location. Laura's class is @ 8pm and is also held in the opposite end of town from where I live. I suppose those 3 hours after work can be passed knitting though...what a horrible way to spend the evening. Knitting socks and then hula-hooping! Egads!! ;-)

So, there's one night a week. Then, there's photography classes at a local camera shop, and I'll be attending those for the next couple of months. The first class is an introduction to DSLR photography, and I'm a little geeked about it. A few months ago, I got a Sony DSC-HX1 (pictured below). It's what they call a "bridge camera" which means it has all the features of a point-and-shoot but also the added control of a professional DSLR camera (aperture, exposure, etc.). However, I've no idea of how to use these fancy DSLR features...at least until this weekend. Yay!




Then, there's yoga on some evenings with my husband, and lunch yoga at a local studio. The studio provides 45 minutes of flow and vinyasas, followed by an incredible lunch from the Blue Dahlia. Mmmmm...can't wait. The lunch yoga is only twice a week, but it will be a nice break from the office routine.

...and cooking. Oh, boy! It's been too long since I've taken a cooking class at Central Market, and I'll fix that very soon. This summer, CM has classes on tapas, Indian cuisine, pasta basics, sushi 101, knife skills, and summertime pies just to name a few. With no homework, I'll actually have time to get in the kitchen and make dinner again. How nice. Oh! Just thinking about it gets me smiling. Also, the new apartment has very nice gas grills and a pool, and with summer here, it's about time to grill and chill by the poolside. Yes, ma'am. Margaritas and fajitas while splashing in the water...Huzzah for summer!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment